St Matthew-in-the-City

Address 187 Federal Street, Auckland, 1010, New Zealand
URL http://stmatthews.org.nz/index.php

The St Matthews organ was originally a small two-manual instrument 1862 Willis for the first wooden church on the site. In 1907 the organ was moved across to the new stone church, but it was considered too small for the larger building. Rebuilds occurred in 1930's by Lawton & Osborne, and by Croft & Sons in 1970's.  The new organ by Willis incorporates 7 of the original ranks and parts from a Father Willis organ in Scotland in an entirely new instrument placed in the organ loft as envisaged by the original architect. There are 58 speaking stops over 5 divisions, The 4 manuals and pedals console is moveable.

 



Get directions

Back